The Development of Mechanical Engineering at Leibniz Universität Hannover
1831 foundation as as higher vocational school
Initially, the school was located centrally in Hannover and offered degree courses in mathematics, geometry, architecture, mechanical engineering, natural history, physics, chemistry, technology, drawing and book-keeping. There were 64 students enrolled. The director was 27-year-old Karl Karmarsch from Vienna.
1879 Elevation to a Royal Technical University and the move to the Welfenschloss
Through a constitutional reform of 1879, the name "Technische Hochschule" ("Technical University") was adopted and the following faculties were established: Architecture, Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Chemistry, Electrical Engineering, and General Sciences.
In the 19th century, technical mechanics was developed from structural and machine dynamics, and analytical mechanics was then assigned to the Faculty of General Sciences. In 1900, this field of study was divided into two chairs, the Faculty of Civil Engineering and the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering.
1922 Foundation of a Department of Mechanical Engineering in the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering consisting of:
- Technical Thermodynamics, Internal Combustion Engines, and Refrigeration Machines
- Technical Mechanics and Aerodynamics
- Strength of Materials and Machine Elements
- Hydroelectric Engines (F. Oesterlen from 1913)
- Steam Engines (K. Röder from 1926)
- Winding Engines , Hoists and Pumps
- Railway Machinery and Operation
- Mechanical Technology, Metallography, Fibre Technology
- Agricultural Machines
- Machine Tools, Production, Factory Organisation